Sunday 14 October 2012

Chapter Musings: Odyssey


This challenge is hosted by November's Autumn. This month's meme is about a chapter that we find very interesting of impressive. Here I quote the post:

“Jot down some notes about the chapter you've just read or one that struck you the most. It can be as simple as a few words you learned, some quotes, a summary, or your thoughts and impressions.“

Odysseus and Penelope by Primaticcio
The last book that I read this month is the Odyssey. It's a wonderful epic, with lots of adventures and misfortunes that happen around the hero, Odysseus. The hero must face terrible things before he can go back home, to Ithaca, his son, and especially his wife. But then, when he meets his wife again, she faces him with much coldness.

Penelope still loves Odysseus, of course, but she worries that a god might try to fool her by making himself look like her husband. After a test, though, she is finally convinced that it's really Odysseus coming back. That's the chapter I choose. Chapter 23 of Homer's Odyssey: The Great Rooted Bed.

I think it's very interesting how both husband and wife are good in tricks and schemes. Odysseus lies several times in the story – even to Athena herself, and Penelope tricks her suitors and eventually her own husband. Perhaps that's why Penelope loves her husband so much. She says nobody equals Odysseus, and that's very understandable.


5 comments:

  1. I read this my junior year in high school, I really must go back and re-read. :) Thank you for participating, Listra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Iliad than Odyssey. In some chapters Odyssey are quite boring and made me think 'when will Odyssey finally return home'? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like your observation about Penelope and Odysseus being cut from the same cloth. Nice observation!

    I'm a fan of the Odyssey--a couple of years ago I listened to an audio version of it, and feel that I much prefer that form of "reading" this epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When I read about him and Penelope my first thought was, "Like husband, like wife". :D

      Everyone has different preferred methods of reading. I read ebooks, printed books, and also audio book. When the reader of the audio book is good, his voice makes the story more lively.

      Delete